Friday, April 17, 2015

Inspiration

Brett J
4/14/15
Essay


My Inspiration


Sweep, Sweep.  “Hey Papa! What are you doing?”  “Sweeping the dust off of my carving table? What did you need?”  “Well, I came over for the interview?”  “Ok, lets get started.”

My grandpa Jim is my inspiration. I chose him because he inspires me with hard work and he also tells the best childhood stories. My grandpa has four siblings. He has two older brothers and two younger sisters. Sadly, we lost the youngest one, Becky, to cancer. The oldest brother is Quentin. The next is Jerry. Then it is him. After that it is Twila and lastly Becky. A funny tradition is that when a family member had a birthday party, someone would sneak up and smear butter on their nose.

Next, is his job. My grandpa works at CarQuest. He has worked behind the counter for quite a while. Now he works as an outdoor salesperson, as he puts it. He drives a route selling auto parts to close friends. Some tips he has for being successful at your job is first and foremost, put God at the center of it all. Then show up on time. Also learn the product you are selling. Another tip is to provide the best service. 

A hobby that my grandpa has taught me and my brothers is wood carving. He discovered the interest after he went to a museum. One of his friends that helped him get started was Clay Johnson. My grandpa told me that he has always been into crafts and art, so he was prone to this. Some of the creatures that he first carved were birds. He explained that he was also into birds. A tradition that he has started is that for every Christmas, he carves an animal that would have been on Noah’s Ark from the alphabet. I have celebrated Christmas 12 times and this past Christmas my letter was J and he carved me a Jaguar. It has been a tradition for a long time.

The last reason why he inspires me is because of the things that he believes and wants people to know. The most important thing in the Johnston family, is a relationship with God. And that is the message that he wants the world to know.  How important it is to have a relationship with God. Where will you go if you die tomorrow? This is a big question that each of us needs to be answer.

I have informed you why my grandpa Jim inspires me. I am grateful to have him. His nickname is Papa or Pops. These are the reasons why he inspires me.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment