Friday, February 20, 2015

College Essay


  College Essay
      By: Brett Johnston

Ever since I was 10, I always wondered where I would go to college and what for. You know what, I’m still not 100% sure. However, as I look around me at my family and friends, I realize that college is important. My dads words echo in my head saying, “ College furthers one’s education regarding the field you would like to study. College can help you become independent and make decisions on your own rather than your parents.”

My personal goals for my future are to become a marine scientist. I’ve always been drawn to sea life like: Sharks, whales, and other sea organisms. The fish I know the most about are crappie, bass, bluegill and catfish. Every year, my dad takes me and the rest of my family fishing. We always have an amazing time as a family. When we get home, I’m the only one that helps him fillet the fish. I would also like to get a masters degree so that I can get a better job. Some people just want to get their bachelors and skip the masters, but I’m not like other people. I want to work hard to get a good education and job. 

I think that education will help me reach my goals in ways like helping with research. The scientists are still trying to find different organisms in the world. I was even considering training dolphins and whales to help the military. My dad says that there aren’t as many jobs in this field, but I’m fine with that. Friends have told me that you don’t get paid that much. To me if you are in it for the money, you might as well get a job at McDonalds. I’m not doing for the money. I’m doing it for the passion.

People always ask me, who inspires you? I tell them my dad. He inspires me because he teaches me lessons like always take education serious. Another lesson he taught me is to always work and never slack off.
He went to college to become a biologist, but there weren’t very many jobs. He is now a carpet layer and is a very hard worker. After every day of work, no matter how hard, he always cooks my family homemade meals. That is why my dad inspires me.

These are the things that draw me to marine biology. College will be the glue to keep me connected to my future.



No comments:

Post a Comment